The Magic of Moments
As memory keepers, we have a vast array of tools at our disposal, each designed specifically to help us tell the story of our lives. Among those tools, there are very few that are as powerful, or as personal, as photographs. The Magic of Moments is a photography class built around the simple idea that you have the most intimate access to your life and the people in it—take the pictures no one else can.
Throughout the course of the workshop, Lisa Varshine will guide you through the process of finding your unique photography voice, capturing authentic moments, making intentional creative choices, and editing photos to further enhance their storytelling aspect.
Someone wise once said, “Life is not measured in time. It is measured in moments.” This class will help you move beyond snapshots to artfully capturing the moments of your life, from the ordinary to the extraordinary.
What you'll learn
- How to find and develop your voice as a photographer
- The important role of fact and feeling photos in telling your stories
- Developing an intentional mindset when picking up your camera
- Understanding how every choice you make in-camera (and out) contributes to the story your photo is telling
- The value of “bad” photos and their role in your journey
- How to edit your photos to enhance the story
Please note that this class is not specifically a technical class. Lisa will touch on technical concepts, but will not be teaching manual photography. She will be sharing her settings and some other advanced concepts, but a DSLR and knowledge of manual exposure are not necessary to participate in this class. Throughout the course Lisa and her guests will be sharing their favorite resources for learning and developing these concepts.
What you'll get
- Full color PDF handouts for each lesson
- Four (4) presentations/videos spread out over the workshop, one each week, and four recorded video conversations with guests on each topic.
- A photo-based challenge each week, with the option to share and reflect with other students in the class gallery
- Exercises designed to help you progress in your photography journey, whatever your personal goals may be
- A bonus digital package designed by Ali and inspired by Lisa’s bold, graphic style
- Additional bonus lessons, including a holiday-themed lesson later this fall
What you'll need
- A camera (can be any kind of camera - phone, film, DSLR)
- A willingness to practice, make mistakes, and enjoy the process
- An openness to embracing a new way of seeing your life through the lens
Aug 3Class begins3:00AM EDT
Aug 3Lesson One | Finding Your Voice9:00AM EDTJoin me as we dig deeper into the process of finding our voice.
Aug 5Finding Your Voice | Kelly Ishmael10:00AM EDTJoin me for an in-depth conversation with Kelly Ishmael about finding your photography voice.
Aug 10Lesson Three | Photographer's Toolbox12:00AM EDTJoin me as we touch on some of the fundamental creative & technical concepts behind making photos.
Aug 10Lesson Two | Shooting What's Real10:00AM EDTJoin me for an in-depth discussion about striving for authenticity in our photography.
Aug 12Shooting What's Real | Pam Baldwin10:00AM EDTJoin me for a great conversation with Pam Baldwin as we discuss her thoughts on authentic photos.
Aug 19Photographer's Toolbox | Amy Gretchen10:00AM EDTJoin me for a conversation with Amy Gretchen as we discuss the inspiration behind her photos.
Aug 24Lesson Four | Editing for Story10:00AM EDTJoin Lisa, Amy, & Kelly for a lively discussion about photo editing.
Aug 26Lesson Four | Photo Edits10:00AM EDTKelly, Amy, & Lisa are each walking you through their individual editing processes.